Mouse (I'm stupid)

Wolfgang Gill wolfgang at rpi.net.au
Fri Dec 19 01:53:16 UTC 2003

On Thu, 18 Dec 2003 10:06:58 -0600, Alex White wrote
> I installed the 2.6.0 rpm (final) via rpm -ivh 2.6blahblah.blah.rpm.
> Well you know how kudzu is, it reprobes everything. That's fine, not
> a big deal. So I told it to ignore the mouse (because it detects it
> as a PS/2 mouse). Now my scroll wheel on my usb logitech mouse
> doesn't work anymore. Even if I use the redhat-config-mouse tool to
> set it as (any!) type of usb mouse, the scroll wheel doesn't work anymore.
>
> I checked /etc/X11/XF86Config (that X11 may be X11R6, I don't
> remember.) At anyrate, the ZAxis 4 5 option is in there.
> /etc/sysconfig/mouse has no mention of WHEEL=yes (with or without
> quotes. I'm a little confuzzled. I tried deleting
> /etc/sysconfig/hwconf information on the mouse and rerunning kudzu.
> It just insists on saying it's a microsoft psaux ps/2 device. I may
> have to take a katana to the machine in a fit of rage.
>
> ^_^
>
> Alex
[snip

I'm not sure how the 2.6 kernel handles the USB mouse. But in RH9 & FC1 I
usually let it auto detect the mouse, then change it manually to a MS
Intellimouse USB. (That of course is in the original install). So the
XF86Config file I have the following and it works great for the Logitech mice
(I use the MX-700 both here at work & at home with the same settings)

Option	    "Protocol" "IMPS/2" <<- This is the important part
Option	    "Device" "/dev/input/mice" <<- Leave it unchanged on your system.
Option	    "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
Option	    "Emulate3Buttons" "no"

Wolf