Tips for using "extra" keyboard keys. Mini-HOWTO

Rob Park rbpark at ualberta.ca
Fri Dec 19 02:06:38 UTC 2003

Keith G. Robertson-Turner wrote:
> On Thu, 18 Dec 2003 13:27:13 -0700, Rob Park wrote:
>>I found that the KeysymDB file already contains a ton of useful
>>keywords, you don't have to make up your own. Or rather, making up your
>>own is more work with little benefit :)
>
> True, but then I'm just experimenting, I didn't want to mess with the
> defaults until I was sure it worked.

Funny, I was just experimenting, too, and I didn't want to go about
messing with the KeysymDB file... :)

> Keymap settings is one area where I don't see the point in having separate
> .rc.mine configs, since either you're going to use those keys or not. The
> specific keybinding_commands on a per-user basis, certainly, but not the
> keycodes and aliases.

True, but I was just experimenting, so I used my own config file (same
reason I didn't modify KeysymDB :)

Plus, there's only the one user on this box, so it's basically the same.

>>NEW=$(aumix -vq|perl -pe 's/^\D+(\d+).+/\1/;')
>
> Ah, the wonders of Perl ;-)

Yeah, I couldn't figure out why your mute script was so long :)

>>># xmms-toggle-play.sh
>>
>>XMMS can already do this itself (xmms --play-pause). In fact, xmms-shell
>>is entirely unnecessary...
>
> Excellent ... I had no idea. Guess the author of xmms-shell had no idea
> either. This must be relatively new for xmms, is it?

Dunno. It's been in xmms since at least 1.2.7, which isn't all that old.

> I like firebird/thunderbird, but current development is a bit raw ATM
> (e.g. - launching firebird when mozilla is running). I guess sooner or
> later we're all going to be using the "birds", but until they've matured a
> bit more, I'll stick with the main moz branch.

Yeah, except that I prefer the birds to the main moz branch..  mostly
due to extensions and themes. launchmoz is my way of (partly) working
around the brokenness of the xremote client.

>>Yeah, metacity makes it difficult by requiring you use gconf-editor, KDE
>>makes this kind of stuff fairly straightforward.
>
> I usually run *box for (very occasional) root logins. Fluxbox was a bit
> late for the FC1 release, but I got OpenBox which seems nearly identical.
> I'm wondering how I'd get this stuff working on OpenBox? Hmmm, time to
> RTFM, I guess.

I know that blackbox had a bbkeys program that let you do keybindings,
but I've never used it and I don't know how useful it is in this
context. I stopped using blackbox long before I ever got this fancy new
keyboard :)

http://bbtools.thelinuxcommunity.org/