Fedora Core 1 Lockup / Caps lock light / scroll lock light

Keith G. Robertson-Turner redhat-forums at genesis-x.nildram.co.uk
Fri Dec 19 14:31:24 UTC 2003

On Fri, 19 Dec 2003 03:54:16 -0600, Steven P. Ulrick wrote:

> Hello, Everyone :)
> Has anyone seen the following problem:
> I was running a few applications: wget, mirrordir, copydir
> When I returned about fifteen minutes later, a screensaver was locked up
> on my monitor, and the caps lock and scroll lock lights on my keyboard
> were flashing on and off.  I assumed that it was a screensaver related

So many possibilities ...

What graphics card and driver are you using?

What does the command "glxinfo" show, anything obviously broken?

Have a look at /var/log/messages and see if there's any errors at around
the time the system froze.

Also it could be APM related, try running "apm -s" and "apm -S" and see
what happens. Have you configured acpid? What are you BIOS power
management settings?

Could also be any one of ...

Overclocked/overheating CPU
Overclocked/overheating graphics card
Bad blocks on memory modules
Other mobo timing issues (FSB speed)
Buggy mobo BIOS
Known issues with mobo chipset
PSU related issues (insufficient power)

For a long time, my system was running very unstable, and exhibiting the
kind of behaviour you describe. Eventually it turned out the memory had
gone bad. Replacing the memory solved every weird problem I'd seen. Maybe
it's that simple in your case.

-
Keith