Newbie: How to upgrade from Red Hat 9 to Fedora from hard disk

Ghod ghod at erols.com
Fri Dec 19 22:26:47 UTC 2003

Andy Green wrote:

>On Friday 19 December 2003 18:42, Ghod wrote:
>

>>I've just seen too many LI..................
>>

>use GRUB, you'll never see it again :-)

why lilo works just fine. and I'm sure grub has it's pros and cons as well.
since I'm old school I'll just stick with lilo

>>I was offering REAL advice for a NEWBIE.. make a CD copy of the ISO so
>>you have a BACKUP media in case of problems.
>>

>In itself that is good advice, since you will need to boot from CD in case of
>install disaster.  Something else I have done is formatted an old 4GB HDD
>with ext3 and copied the ISOs to there, using it as a kind of thick DVD to
>install from.
>

>>that is my point, if you want to run them down the short-cut path.. so
>>be it.
>>

>As I explained at length, if I have important data I swap out the HDD.

not everyone has spare HD's laying around. some might.. of course a tape
drive or DVD or even CD could be used to save/store/protect important
data as well. (I use all the above)

>>it just means you like short-cuts for newbs too.
>>

>Redhat put HDD installs in, it exists, people will use it.  I used it, it
>worked fine.  That doesn't mean it is failproof, my experience is one more
>straw in the wind.  Since I have other machines I could recover from an
>install failure.  If you only have one machine then paranoia is a good
>setting as you suggest.
>

>>and installing Linux on a machine without CD-ROM or Floppy.. now THAT
>>must have been a real jewel.. hope it never crashes.. since you would
>>never be able to install ANYTHING back on it.
>>

>Not sure where that came from, but my current work is with an Embedded Fedora
>which boots off a NBD device via PXE -- this motherboard has NO local storage
>other than the BIOS itself.  Yet I can do what I like with its filesystem
>since its a file on an NBD server.  More things on Heaven and Earth.

this is way past newb stuff. yea you can have a diskless workstation
sure. and use bootp and 100 other things too, but this is way off the
original topic. This also says you have a server and working knowledge
of linux to go to that extreme.. if I remember correctly this all
started as a newbie asking about upgrading from a HD.. and I just said I
hoped he was making CD images! :)