mysql / fat 32 question

Trevor Smith trevor at haligonian.com
Sat Dec 20 03:13:09 UTC 2003

I know this is a question for the mysql list, but before I go and
subscribe, just to get an answer (already checked the archives):

I have MySQL on a Win2k and a FC1 partition. I have a fat32 partition
that I share between the two operating systems.

I've successfully pointed both instances of MySQL to the same data
directory on the fat32 partition so I can have one set of databases.

However, FC1 insists the databases are read only, even though they
appear to have write privileges set.

Is it possible to use MySQL to write to a FAT32 drive? (Yes, I can
write to the fat32 drive from many other applications, such as text
editors, etc.)

My theory: fat32 doesn't explicitly support permissions and MySQL is
looking for them to be set and, naturally, can't find any such
information. So even though it would be able to write to the drive, it
refuses to try and just reports that it's "read only".

 Trevor Smith    |    trevor at haligonian.com