Root isn't good

ash ashishv at HotPOP.com
Sun Dec 21 13:11:59 UTC 2003

Hello Nicole,

On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 you wrote:

> Message: 12
> From: =?iso-8859-1?Q?Nicol=F2_Nepote?= <nepote at cclinf.polito.it>
> To: <fedora-list at redhat.com>
> Subject: Root isn't God
> Date: Sat, 20 Dec 2003 12:19:53 +0100
>
> I have mounted a fat32 partition 7dev/hda2 on /mnt/data with the vfat option
> and added an entry in /etc/fstab with auto option. The folder /mnt/data was
> created with default umask and has 755 permissions. In order to have the
> possibility to write on that disk when I login as "nepote" (that is my usual
> identity and is part of the group "root") i logged in as root and:
>
> chmod 775 /mnt/data -R
>
> the command returns a list off "you don't have enough permissions (requested
> 775, was 755)"
>
> ????????

Reply:

  correct me if i'm wrong. it seems to be a trivial
  problem. you have requested to chmod 775 for a
  file which has 755 as it's permissions. your user
  'nepote' is a member of group root. so being in
  the group of root, however does *not* grant you
  absolute (su) permissions. 755 translates as
  rwxr-xr-x (ugo). being a member of root, you still
  don't have write permissions. now to change
  permissions to /mnt/data, su and then do a chmod.

  enjoy :)

--
ash :)
Ashish V

<tag> "Beware of bugs in the above code; I have only
proved it correct, not tried it."
                              -- Donald Knuth </tag>