USB mouse movement is jerky

Steve Cape Stephen.Cape at colorado.edu
Mon Dec 22 06:50:36 UTC 2003

Salvio,

I've done a fresh install of Fedora Core 1 on a Dell Latitude C600 (GRUB dual
boot with Win98). I was running RH9,which seem to worked quite fine. I've had
many of the
same problems since installing FC1 as you have described in a few previous
threads:

---conflict between mouse and PCMCIA card (fixed that with Kai's suggestion to
you, i.e.,
acpi=on in grub boot)

---with "acpi=on" shutdown doesn't work completely. It appears to go through the
whole shutdown
process, but hangs with a blank screen after "power down". I haven't seen a
solution posted that
works for me.

---with "acpi=on" USB mouse movement is jerky for me as well. I keep a System
Monitor applet
on my panel and noticed regular spikes in processor activity, which I correlated
to the Battery
Charge Monitor applet (battstat-applet-2). I removed this applet from my panel
and mouse
movement is no longer jerky. Don't know why this works (something to do with
acpi, probably).
This is not really a good solution since you can't monitor the battery charge,
but I will use it until
I find a true fix.

---The mouse configuration that has worked well for me is "ALPS GlidePoint
(PS/2)" with
"Emulate 3 button click" checked. (I saw this solution suggested somewhere on
the net; don't
remember by whom). I can use my touchpad just fine with or without my USB mouse
plugged in
(Microsoft wheel mouse, infrared, wireless; or Kensington wheel mouse).

I'm still quite the newbie (just started using Linux/RH9 in September), and
don't know much
technically, but I hope the above are helpful or at least send you down the
right track to the right
solutions.

Steve Cape