kernel 2.6 very sluggish

Sean Estabrooks seanlkml at rogers.com
Mon Dec 22 19:47:05 UTC 2003

On Mon, 22 Dec 2003 11:16:57 -0800
"Calderon, Jay" <jcaldero at asante.com> wrote:

> things run smoothly. Under kernel 2.6 it's awefully sluggish. Evolution,
> terminal, epiphany :-P take forever to launch and mouse sputters
> (intellimouse). Are there any/which logs I should look at to find out
> the issues? Any help would be appreciated. Or should I direct these
> questions elsewhere? TIA.

Jay,

Could be any number of things but check the basics and run "top" to see
if you have some processes that is consuming resources on you.   A very
easy thing to miss when upgrading from 2.4 to 2.6 is your hard disk
parameters (see hdparm command).   The unit of measurement for the read
ahead parameter has changed from blocks to bytes.  Therefore if your
current readahead value is 8 you should change it to 4096 for 2.6 although
256 or 512 may well offer the same or even better results.  Experimenting
a bit will find the best value for your drive/workload.

Sean