up2date not automatic

Dennis Calhoun dcalhoun at blomand.net
Wed Dec 24 00:19:03 UTC 2003

On Tue, 23 Dec 2003 11:51:35 -0500, you wrote:

>  Check /etc/sysconfig/rhn/sources
>The fact that the applet may not have worked but did after an upgrade
>is normal, a serious connectivity bug was fixed in an upgrade released
>a few weeks ago.

Thanks Daniel. The problem is not that the up2date applet did not work
before I upgraded from RHL9 to Fedora Core 1, it did work ok before.
After my upgrade i now find it still says nothing different in the
menu in the GUI, still says Red Hat Network Notification Tool, and it
now is telling me that everything is fully up to date ALL the time,
even when I have not yet connected to the internet.

When I ran up2date, regardless of what the applet did or did not
report about status, up2date displayed two channels that it subscribed
me to (different from what I had on RHL9) and it found *several*
updates (7.4 GB worth of them) that I then downloaded and installed.
All the while the applet was telling me all was up to date before any
of that.

It seems that there is yet some important work to be done on the
update system for Fedora Core. Like getting YUM listed in the GUI menu
items and RHN out. As well pretty much everything in general about YUM
incorporated into the whole system, OS and update site wise. Doing
something to present different images for the status would be good
too, so that people would not so easily confuse the Red Hat Network
Notification icons with those for YUM.

--
Dennis C.