up2date not automatic

Mike Klinke lsomike at futzin.com
Wed Dec 24 01:04:49 UTC 2003

On Wednesday 24 December 2003 00:45, Dennis Calhoun wrote:

> >up2date --nox -i yum
>
> Thanks Mike. I tried that and found , as you surely already knew
> and I did not, that it is a purely "command line" way to run yum.
> You're right about mine being an upgrade, from RHL9, but it seems
> odd to me that yum would not automatically be installed, since it
> seems to be so different from the normal RH up2date. Would it be
> wise for me to go back to the install disks and install yum now? If
> so, can you please tell me which disk it is on and if and how I
> should go about removing the existing up2date from my system? I've
> also head something about it being impossible to subscribe to RHN
> or whatever with yum.... is there more I should know about that?
> Sorry to be so full of questions.

Dennis,

This isn't a way to run yum.  This is a way, via up2date, to install
the yum RPM.

Since you didn't have yum installed on your RH9 system there was no
need to install yum when you upgraded from RH9 to Fedora. On the
other hand the up2date utility was upgraded to use yum repositories
instead of RHN repositories.

In short, there is no need to install yum if you plan to use up2date
to keep your system current.

I do not run yum, I run up2date to update from a yum repository. My
/etc/sysconfig/rhn/sources file looks like this:

#up2date default

yum fedora-core-1 http://fedora.redhat.com/releases/fedora-core-1

yum updates-released
ftp://mirrors.kernel.org/fedora/core/updates/1/i386
===END=THREE=LINES=======

In order to see if your system is configured properly, what happens
when you run?:

up2date --nox -u --dry-run

Regards,  Mike Klinke