Better POP daemon?

Alexander Dalloz alexander.dalloz at uni-bielefeld.de
Wed Dec 24 23:21:36 UTC 2003

Am Do, den 25.12.2003 schrieb Rodolfo J. Paiz um 00:00:
> At 09:26 12/24/2003, you wrote:
> >On Wednesday, Dec 24th 2003 at 09:21 -0600, quoth Steven Stern:
> >
> >=>I'm popping mail from my FC1 server using the IPOP3 daemon that was already
> >=>there. Dang, but it is slow.  It takes a long time to just to pick up one
> >=>short message, mainly due (I think) to process start time.  It gets created
> >=>and stopped with each POP session.  Does anyone have a suggestion for a
> >better
> >=>POP3 daemon?
> >=>
> >=> -- Steve
>
> Forgot: re your request for a "better POP3 daemon", you may want to look at
> dovecot, which is now included as an option with Fedora. I think it's
> fairly young, and so may or may not be up to the task, but the project home
> page says it has been written with security and speed in mind, and it's
> probably safe to try it (and you might like it).

Changing just the daemon while not fixing the real resons why another
one does not work as expected is not wise in my eyes. But in your other
mailing you are right, that DROPing ident requests is a dumb thing.

Anyway, it's not the case in here that the identd make the problems.
It's DNS lookups and maybe not resoving reverse lookups. It's a common
issue with other net applications as ssh, telnet or ftp logins too.

Alexander

--
Alexander Dalloz | Enger, Germany
PGP key valid: made 13.07.1999