Better POP daemon?

Rodolfo J. Paiz rpaiz at simpaticus.com
Thu Dec 25 00:28:25 UTC 2003

At 17:21 12/24/2003, you wrote:
>Changing just the daemon while not fixing the real resons why another
>one does not work as expected is not wise in my eyes. But in your other
>mailing you are right, that DROPing ident requests is a dumb thing.

Steve asked two questions, as I read his post: what might be causing his
problems, and is there a better POP server daemon. I attempted to answer
both, independently of each other.

>Anyway, it's not the case in here that the identd make the problems.
>It's DNS lookups and maybe not resoving reverse lookups. It's a common
>issue with other net applications as ssh, telnet or ftp logins too.

Steve's case may be either, both, or something else entirely. DNS (both
forward and reverse) timeouts and ident requests are, however, the two most
common causes of this kind of problem; as you noted.

--
Rodolfo J. Paiz
rpaiz at simpaticus.com
http://www.simpaticus.com