WAS "A good book on C programming", now an APPOLOGY

leam leam at reuel.net
Sun Dec 28 00:12:23 UTC 2003

Robert L Cochran wrote:
> What we are seeing here is one person's intolerance of even generic
> questions.
>
> Not everyone on the list is like this.
>
> I wouldn't let it bother you. Speaking for myself, I just ask away.
> There is not a single package on Fedora that hasn't been modified by Red
> Hat in some way, so I think all questions are valid.
>
> And as to the C programming book, there is
>
> C Primer Plus, 4th Edition, by Stephen Prata which seems okay.
>
> Beginning C by Ivor Horton, from Wrox Press, also seems okay.
>
> You may want to try the Deitel "C How to Program" book. Deitel books are
> gouge-you expensive but have a lot of exercises and code examples.
>
> Bob

I'm with Bob. Google is good for finding data, but it has no way to tell
you the accuracy or value of that data. The ACCU list of books does, as
do the knowledgeble folks here.

There are times you need to do your homework before you ask, and there
are times to toss something out and hope not too many people laugh at
your ignorance.

Good netiquitte also says we need to be forgiving when someone goofs; it
might be our turn next.

ciao!

leam