Hard Drives and Kernal Source

Krikket krikket at gothpoodle.com
Sun Dec 28 01:13:40 UTC 2003

On Sat, 27 Dec 2003, William Hooper wrote:
> Krikket said:

> >> Are you looking to build your own kernel or kernel modules?  You need
> >> the kernel-source package.
> >
> > I'm trying to get the alsa drivers running on my laptop, so I can have
> > sound.  The RPM doesn't seem to be cutting it for me, and the chipset is
> > definately supported...
>
> Then you definitely want the kernel-source package:
> [whooper at kenny whooper]$ sudo /usr/sbin/up2date --dry-run kernel-source

I got some different results, but equally educational.

1>  I don't know how you got it to check locally for things...  In my case
it checked the 'net at large.  (I'm assuming the redhat.com...)

2>  It found the kernal and source for 2.4.22.1-2125.  I'm running kernal
2.4.22-1.2115.  I don't want to upgrade the kernal, because I've found
when I do, I get odd behavior with things lik the num-lock key.  Even if
the kernal isn't running.  (Okay, I discovered this on the desktop, not
the laptop...  But isn't it even more likely to go wonky on the laptop?)

> Notice that be default the package is skipped so you must use "-f" with
> up2date.

Thank you.  I didn't know that!

> >> Are you wanting to look at the patches that Red Hat has added to the
> >> kernel.org kernel?  Then you need the kernel src.rpm package.

> >> Without more detail, this is a completely worthless statement.
> >
> > If the system gave me any useful error messages, I would have included
> > them.  It doesn't.  I get a generic "install failed" type of message with
> > no rhyme, reason, or anything else of use.  I felt it wasn't necessary to
> > spell that out, because I understood that it was generally understood that
> > the add/remove features is pretty severely broken in Fedora...  (Badly
> > enough that I don't know anyone who's succesfully installed *anything*
> > using this method.)
>
> On the other hand, I see no showstopper bugs in bugzilla saying it doesn't
> work at all.

Maybe it works for some people then.  I don't know.

> What output do you get when you run redhat-config-packages from a
> terminal?  What version of redhat-config-packages are you running?

Err, what's that, and how do I check?  It's a fresh install (less than a
week old) and one of the first things I did was to run "yum update".  (And
then I removed the kernal that was installed.)\

I may be a relative newbie, but I am catching on...  (And have years of
Unix (user) experience to draw on...)

Krikket