Kmail / gpg

Clifford Snow glass-art at comcast.net
Sun Dec 28 06:23:58 UTC 2003

On Sat, 2003-12-27 at 20:28, Trevor Smith wrote:
> When people sign messages with gpg (or presumably with PGP) KMail tries to
> verify their sigs, can't find their public keys in my keyring (because I have
> no one's key) and reports, in a yellow frame around the text:
>
> The validity of the signature cannot be verified.
> Problem: OpenPGP plug-in was not specified.
>
> This is not actually correct, is it? The "problem" isn't that the OpenPGP
> plug-in isn't specified; the problem is that I don't have the key in my
> keyring. When I receive a message signed by someone with a public key in my
> keyring (like myself, for example) the message *is* verified properly -- and
> I *still* don't have any OpenPGP plug-in specified.

I don't use KMail so I'm not familiar with its features.  With
Evolution, I specify the following in ~/.gnupg/gpg.conf
	keyserver-options auto-key-retrieve

This option tells gpg to get the specified key from a public keyserver -
which needs to be specified as well in gpg.conf.

<snip>

--
Clifford Snow