wireless help newbie

UncleDuke tmfu at comcast.net
Sun Dec 28 15:26:55 UTC 2003

George Bennett wrote:
> I have a dell inspiron running fedora core 1 with kernel 2.4.22-1.2115.  Please help me get away from M$ once and for all!
>
> I have a wireless router and desperately am trying to get my wireless pcmcia adapter to work without luck.  The adapter is a netgear ma401.
>
> I have tried suggestions on multiple forums wihtout success, which leads me to my two questions:
>
> 1.  Is there any 802.11b wireless pcmcia adapter that will work with fedora core 1 "out of the box"?.  I have changed the default setting on my wireless gateway/router for essid and my wep (128) keys.
>
> 2.  Can anyone tell me how to configure the netgear ma401 to work?

The MA401 should work right out of the box. Post your DMESG output.

Here's mine

cs: memory probe 0xa0000000-0xa0ffffff: clean.
hermes.c: 4 Dec 2002 David Gibson <hermes at gibson.dropbear.id.au>
orinoco.c 0.13d (David Gibson <hermes at gibson.dropbear.id.au> and others)
orinoco_cs.c 0.13d (David Gibson <hermes at gibson.dropbear.id.au> and others)
divert: allocating divert_blk for eth1
eth1: Station identity 001f:0006:0001:0003
eth1: Looks like an Intersil firmware version 1.3.6
eth1: Ad-hoc demo mode supported
eth1: IEEE standard IBSS ad-hoc mode supported
eth1: WEP supported, 104-bit key
eth1: MAC address 00:30:AB:1B:53:2E
eth1: Station name "Prism  I"
eth1: ready
eth1: index 0x01: Vcc 5.0, irq 3, io 0x0100-0x013f
eth1: New link status: Connected (0001)

All I did was plug it in, and configured it via network settings.

Greg