Spammers spoofing my "from" addr

Trevor Smith trevor at haligonian.com
Sun Dec 28 16:06:52 UTC 2003

Off topic but you folks are more knowledgable about these things than anyone I
know...

I occasionally get returned mail failure notices because some jackass spammer
has sent out mass spam using SOMENAME at haligonian.com (which is my domain) as
the "from" address. When he hits nonexistent "to" addresses, the bounces come
to me.

I don't care about the bounces, but what would you knowledgable people do
if/when someone was/is falsely using *your* identities to send spam?

Is there anything I *can* do? Am I ultimately going to be cut off from parts
of the 'net because it *looks* like *I* am spamming? Surely this can't be the
case or you could get anyone "banned" from certain servers just by spoofing
their "from" address and breaking the rules. No?