Initial Fedora impressions

LT Don dieselbenz at netins.net
Mon Dec 29 02:43:00 UTC 2003

Having "lived" with Fedora for 2 days now -- switched from RedHat 9.0
with a clean install -- here are my impressions. I base these on having
20 years "professional" computer experience and nevertheless considering
myself to be a Unix/Linux pre-schooler. Please note that I had been
running RedHat for only about a month, so I didn't gain vast experience
with Linux during that period.

1. Fedora runs faster than RedHat.
2. Fedora is much buggier than RedHat.
3. Fedora is "smarter" in Samba than in RedHat.

Now, I know some are going to say that Fedora is only RedHat with a
different label. That may be so, but my experiences suggest that is not
the case. Things I could not do easily in RedHat can be done
effortlessly in Fedora (i.e., hooking up via my household LAN to my
Win98 machines). Other things that were seamless in RedHat are crashing
around my ankles in Fedora (i.e., running updates without having to
first log in as root, and then after logging in as root still seeing
intermittant failures).

Doing my 6th fresh reload in two days, and hoping for better luck this
time.

LT Don