Speaking of viruses

Elton Woo elwoo at videotron.ca
Mon Dec 29 03:18:40 UTC 2003

WA9ALS - John wrote:

>Another naive question from a Linux newbie - Are you guys all running
>antivirus software on your Fedora box?  I've had some pretty knowledgeable
>Linux guys tell me it's unnecessary - Could that be correct?  I understand

Though linux is more secure than most Windows systems, I would STRONGLY
ADVISE, that you do not take the attitude that "it can't happen". IMNSHO,
besides a firewall, using at least one antivirus application is highly
advisable,
even if you *never* connect to Windows clients.

No computer (for that matter, *nothing* made by man) is 100% foo-proof,
or invincible to attack. I would prefer to err on the side of caution,
rather than
blithely assume that you will never get attacked. Unless you're one of
those
people who believe in getting fire insurance *after* a major fire!

cheers,

Elton Woo ;-)

-
"You only live once: let's make life BETTER for each other."
LINUX User #193975 [AMD ATHLON CPU] ICQ #149608718.