Speaking of viruses

Mike Causer mikec at mikecauser.org
Mon Dec 29 14:35:26 UTC 2003

On Mon, 29 Dec 2003 07:10:02 -0500  WA9ALS - John wrote:

> My understanding is that these programs detect WINDOWS viruses as received
> on a linux box.  If you don't have Windows, "What, Me Worry?"

   [mikec at lugh f-prot]$ sudo f-prot -virno
   Password:
   SIGN.DEF created 29 December 2003
   SIGN2.DEF created 29 December 2003
   MACRO.DEF created 22 December 2003
   DOS/Windows: 25989 viruses and 43528 Trojans
   Word/Excel: 7997 viruses and Trojans
   Java: 2 viruses and 126 Trojans
   BAT: 2537 viruses and Trojans
   IRC INI: 1349 viruses and Trojans
   Script: 3791 viruses and Trojans
   INF: 5 viruses and Trojans
   Unix shell: 253 viruses and Trojans
   Ami: 2 viruses and Trojans
   WinBat: 4 viruses and Trojans
   PIF: 19 viruses and Trojans
   PalmOS: 4 viruses and Trojans
   PHP: 11 viruses and Trojans
   Unix: 312 viruses and Trojans
   In addition, over 15750 viruses are identified using
   generic identification, so the total number of viruses
   and Trojans known to F-PROT is somewhere over 101600.
   [mikec at lugh f-prot]$

So, *nix problems are not great, but they do exist.   However I haven't
seen one in the wild since the Morris worm.

Mike
Mike Causer                          Email - mailto:mikec at mikecauser.org
GPG KeyID 1C2DDA07                       WWW - http://www.mikecauser.org
Flood the fen again! - Wicken Fen enlargement - http://www.wicken.org.uk