Up2date Misbehaves...Slowly

Fritz Whittington f.whittington at att.net
Mon Dec 29 19:48:12 UTC 2003

On or about 2003-12-29 00:01, Scott Burch whipped out a trusty #2 pencil
and scribbled:

>On Sun, 2003-12-28 at 22:01, Elton Woo wrote:
>

>>billg wrote:
>>

>>>I did a fresh FC1 install today on a machine that has previously run
>>>Fedora quite happily and glitch free.
>>>

>>>8.   Happily spinning hourglass appears...and spins for 45 minutes or so.
>>>Progress bar does not progress across the graphic.  Hard drive is not
>>>busy.
>>>9.  I kill up2date and relaunch it.  Up2date proceeds to start
>>>downloading everything again.
>>>10. Sigh....
>>>
>>>Now, I run up2date from the commandline, and sometime before I relaunched
>>>it, it produced this error message:
>>>

>I'm having the same problem.  Does anyone know of mirrors that we can configure?

Especially in the latter days of RH9 since I had a 'demo' up2date
account, I got to the point of starting up2date just to get a list of
the rpms it wanted, then using WS-FTP Pro to go collect them all from a
mirror site, placing them in the up2date spool file.   Then you can let
up2date continue and it will find them already downloaded and install
them.   The downloader in up2date is *not* robust and will quit without
apology often, throwing away whatever it had gotten up to that point.
You need to download with something that can recover from broken
connections, and resume from where it was when the connection is restored.

It's also very helpful if you create a spool file for up2date on a disk
with some extra room, and set the option to keep the downloaded rpms,
instead of just deleting them after each install.  Then, if you should
have to do a re-install from CD, you can do an up2date without having to
re-download 800 MB of updates....

--
Fritz Whittington
Force without wisdom falls of its own weight. (Horace, Odes)