Raid card that works in Fedora

Doncho N. Gunchev mr700 at globalnet.bg
Tue Dec 30 15:41:06 UTC 2003

On Tuesday 30 December 2003 16:52, Rob Freeman wrote:
> I am looking into building out a new fedora box for my house, but I want to
> find an IDE raid card that works with fedora.  On my older RH9 box, I have
> a promise raid card, but the drivers do not work with fedora, and after
> talking to promise, they do not plan on releasing drivers for fedora.  I am
> just looking to mirror 2 drives together.  Has anyone had good luck getting
> their IDE raid cards working with fedora and could suggest a decent card to
> get?
>
> Thanks
>
> Rob
    I remember some rumours that it works with linux's i2c... but I did not manage
to make this work for me... Now I was looking again in google and here's what I found:
http://www.altlinux.com/index.php?module=sisyphus&package=kernel-source-promise-2003.12.25 -
seems that altlinux have some sort of package. I'll try this now, you can try compiling
it too :) Now this card works with RedHat 9, and I had to compile all the modules by
hand.

btw: I only managed to make promise work at 12MB/sec (hdparm -t /dev/sda) with 2+1 RAID5
80G disks and... I have 80G Baracuda with ECS K7S5A(SIS735) that gives 53MB/sec with
fedora 2.4 kernels (32MB/sec for RedHat 8/9 and ASPLinux 9)... very funny, isn't it?

--
Regards,
  Doncho N. Gunchev