Enigmail question:how to I *export* my public key?

prata at ghostlike.homelinux.org prata at ghostlike.homelinux.org
Tue Dec 30 21:48:52 UTC 2003

On Tue, Dec 30, 2003 at 03:56:39PM -0500, Elton Woo typed in a frenzy:
<snipped all and paraphrased>
How do I export my public key?

Well, I don't use mozilla to compose mail, so I can't say for certain
how you do this in Mozilla Mail. I can tell you how to do it from the
CLI though.

First, make sure enigmail keeps your key in a sane place. This command
should suffice to tell:

gpg --list-keys

This will show all the keys in your keyring. If you add your username
to the tail end of above command you will see your public key and all
that jazz. If not then you'll need to turn elsewhere (not myself
obviously) for help. If however you see your key, then continue on.

gpg --send-keys --keyserver "insert keyserver without quotes" "username"
You may leave the username without quotes. Your key will then be sent
to said server. And there you have it. I do believe those are the steps
that worked for me. If you error out, gpg will try to help you with a
useful message like "dude learn to type" <---- not really, but the
message should not be ambiguous.

Alex