Dell Latitude D600 touchpad problem

mikko nuotio mikko.nuotio at welho.com
Tue Dec 30 22:41:37 UTC 2003

I have Dell Latitude D600, 512MB/1.4 GHz/ATI Radeon 9000/Alps GlidePoint
(might be only sold in EU). The problem is I _really_ dislike Alps
GlidePoint (dual, pad and stick) tapping feature.

I am using Fedora core 1 (yarrow) with default Xfree86 shipped with it,
and kernel 2.4.22-2135

I want to disable tapping from both stick and pad (or disable the pad)

I have tried almost every possible way to disable it(I have read most of
tuxmobile stuff for D600).

tpconfig - I disable gpm, boot to runlevel 3 run manually "tpconfig
--tapmode=0" it says ALPS tapping OFF, but when I start X tapping is
still there, even using any existing mouse driver (PS/2, Alps).

Does "tpconfig --tapmode=0" only affect on stick ?

I also try synaptics touchpad driver for xfree86 (I had to compile it).
but xfree will crash if driver not even loaded, only copied to
/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/input (not 100% sure) at least it will crash is
it is loaded.

So I read more documentation and found out that when using synaptics
driver with Alps glidepoint I should have 2.6 kernel to get events from
this device.

So is there any way disable Alps tapping with current kernel
(2.4.22-2135)?