alsa and midishare unresolved symbols on kernel 2135

John McBride jmcbride at ccis.com
Wed Dec 31 04:57:32 UTC 2003

david walcroft wrote:

> John McBride wrote:
>

>> I've tried source rpms from Planet CCRMA and FreshRPMS, and alsa seems
>> to build and install okay either way (Fresh has 1.0.0-0.rc2.1) but the
>> modules won't load.
>>
>> Here is the output of /sbin/depmod -ae:
>>
>> depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in
>> /lib/modules/2.4.22-1.2135.nptl/kernel/sound/snd.o
>> depmod:         proc_symlink
>> depmod:         register_chrdev
>> depmod:         create_proc_entry

> As I have an athlon cpu I tried installing an athlon kernel but no 2135
> athlon source.rpm available. On the alsa.org site I found src.rpm
> rebuild options, one of which is
> " --target <i386>  <i686> <athlon> " so a rebuild with --target athlon
> did the trick, no unresolved symbols and a working alsa.

Yes, that was my bad. Will be looking into way to build my own
multimedia kernel now, as I said the Planet CCRMA kernel locks my
notebook pretty fast, and since both Slackware and Mandrake have
multimedia optimized kernels for their distros it must be "doable" if I
just dig through what CCRMA does to the stock kernel.

---
John