Arjan's 2.6 Test Kernel

Ben Russo ben at muppethouse.com
Mon Nov 3 13:43:08 UTC 2003

Aly Dharshi wrote:

>Hi Folks,
>
>	I have installed Fedora 0.94 and being updating things via Yum and Co.
>I also have installed Arjan's 2.6 Test Kernel but the only thing that I
>am missing is network connectivity.
>
>	I see the lo and sit0 but no eth0, I am not sure how things should be
>initialized as ifup and ifdown don't see the eth0 kind of thing.
>
>	Does that mean that my IBM 770e laptop's 3c589_cs module is not
>compiled in ? Or am I doing something wrong.

If you don't know how to troubleshoot this kind of thing, why are you
mucking around with
installing a test kernel?   Really,  if you have to ask this kind of
question then you might
want to just leave the default kernel in place (it will be much more
friendly).

Now, to answer your question, it is highly unlikely that the 3c589_cs
modules is
compiled in.  Most esoteric drivers are modules.

Try doing an "modprobe 3c589_cs"  and then an ifconfig -a

Check your /etc/modules.conf for a line like:

       alias eth0  <module name>

Check your /etc/sysconfig/network file
Check your /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0

A simple way to get those two configured is with redhat-config-network.

-Ben.