Broken SMB access in Fedora Core

Michael Kearey mutk at iprimus.com.au
Tue Nov 4 01:52:37 UTC 2003

Felix Miata wrote:
> In Fedora Core beta3 I'm using the same /etc/samba/smb.conf I used in
> shrike and that I use in SuSE and Mandrake. In all the others I
> can/could both read and copy files from Linux via the samba connected
> OS/2 or windoze machine. Now in FC, OS/2 can only see files on Linux, it
> can't copy anything to a local destination, saying "access denied".
> What's been changed for Samba 3 that broke OS/2?

My appologies on being so vague about this, but here goes:

I had a similar problem, and managed to track it down to the 'valid
users = %S line in [homes] ie:

[homes]
    comment = Home Directories
    browseable = no
    writable = yes
    valid users = %S
    create mode = 0664
    directory mode = 0775
# If you want users samba doesn't recognize to be mapped to a guest user
  map to guest = bad user

Once I removed the 'valid users = %S' line it all behaved as it had
with old samba.

Unfortunately I do not recall how I arrived at this - I may have
looked at the default smb.conf that samba server package comes with on
Fedora, and noticed it's absence - .

Give it a try ..

Cheers,
Michael