RedHat Network Charges

Michael Schwendt ms-nospam-0306 at arcor.de
Wed Nov 5 09:31:25 UTC 2003

On 05 Nov 2003 21:32:03 +1300, Steve Withers wrote:

> > > Yes....and the rpm named above refused to install, citing:
> > >
> > > up2date-3.1.23.2.i386.rpm
> > >
> > > ....as a pre-req.  I saw no way out of that one.
> >
> > Works for me.  Are you sure you didn't fall into the trap of trying to
> > upgrade up2date and up2date-gnome seperately?  What is the exact error
> > message?
>
> OK....I see what I was doing wrong.
>
> I would normally never FORCE an RPM to install...so was using 'rpm -Uvh'
> ...and that doesn't work.
>
> The docs say to use -Fvh....and it works fine when you force it.
>
> Thanks for making me lok again.

Doesn't make any sense at all.

Command -Fvh is short for --freshen --verbose --hash and doesn't force
anything. -F upgrades a package only if an older version is installed
already. On the contrary, -Uvh is the same as -Fvh, except that it
would install a package when an older version is not installed already.