"Granny - Just edit your Registry!" Re: hoax or bad taste joke byRedhat's CEO?

Justin L Croonenberghs danruiid at geekstuff.info
Wed Nov 5 19:29:23 UTC 2003

Play the devil's advocate; see below:

--
Justin L Croonenberghs
Webmaster/Owner, Geek Stuff

http://www.geekstuff.info/
Sometimes, I even update.

"Never memorize what you can look up" - Albert Einstein

Steve Withers said:
> On Wed, 2003-11-05 at 18:05, Justin L Croonenberghs wrote:
>> Why not? He's being honest. Can you honestly imagine your grandma
>> picking
>> up a computer and then finding out she needs to edit her /etc/inittab?
>>
>> :-)
>
> If she wants Internet browsing and e-mail, there would be no need for
> her to do that.
>
> Would you tell yer Grandma all she needs to do is run 'regedit' and make
> some changes to her registry keys?

I will grant that could be ugly, but I will maintain that advanced config
edits are less likely to occur on Windows.

(I'm a MFC/C# programmer, so maybe that makes me a biased blowhard...)

> Or how do you explain she needs to patch new XP system to keep the worm
> viruses away....but she can't connect to the Internet to download the
> patch becasue she will be infected?

That's just a hype-attack. I told her, over the phone, how to configure
her machine to automatically update itself, and all it took was four mouse
clicks. Easy as pie.

And she has her firewall enabled. She'll be fine for now.

> This is just two situations that are more of a pain than most things I
> do on Linux.
>
> There are many more.

Well, feel free to flame my inbox; I have a 300MB quota. I can take it.

:-)