"Granny - Just edit your Registry!" Re: hoax or bad taste joke by Redhat's CEO?

Steve Withers swithers at mmp.org.nz
Wed Nov 5 21:44:45 UTC 2003

On Thu, 2003-11-06 at 06:03, Mark Mielke wrote:

> > Would you tell yer Grandma all she needs to do is run 'regedit' and make
> > some changes to her registry keys?
>
> Most Windows users get away with never knowing about regedit. You are speaking
> about your experience with Windows, not the average person's experience.

:-)

I'm thinking of my neighbours - who tend to regard me as the
neighbourhood IT resource.

In one recent case, the neighbour's kids popped in the "3D Drivers" CD
and clicked on install. The CD had a picture of a car on it and they
thought it was a racing game.

It utterly cabbaged the system and had to go back to the shop for a
total reload.  None of the recovery techniques in the documentation
would fix it and the vendor helpdesk spent 2 hours on the phone with us
and gave up.

I've NEVER had that happen on Linux.

Windows isn't really ready for the desktop if you can destroy it that
easily......just re-installing some video drivers.

--
Steve Withers <swithers at mmp.org.nz>