please use BitTorrent

Peter Eddy petere at atg.com
Thu Nov 6 02:13:53 UTC 2003

Tristan Fillmore wrote:

> That does seem low.  I generally can max out the download rate of my T1
> with bittorrent.  If you use a firewall, you might consider making an
> exception for TCP ports 6881 through 6890 or so, as being able to
> receive incoming connections can greatly improve bittorrent rates.

Hmm, I actually have done this. In fact my upload rate was generally
higher, by 50% than, my download rate.

> Also, keep in mind that a bittorrent transfer accelerates as you
> gradually gain additional peers.  Finally, some bittorrent trackers

I did see that to an extent, yet for the hour I was using bittorrent,
before I saw the Linksys warning, I saw the rate increase from about 28
kB/s to 60 kB/s. I guess it's possible it would have increased even
more, but if I'd started with ftp I would have aleady been done by then.

> reward generous uploaders with additional/better download peers, so
> allowing incoming connections and a generous --max_upload_rate can help
> you get faster downloading on those trackers.

I had opened ports 6881-6999 and used the suggested value from
http://torrent.dulug.duke.edu :

   btdownloadcurses.py --max_upload_rate 350 \
     --url http://torrent.dulug.duke.edu/yarrow-binary-i386-iso.torrent

Peter