Moderate this list?

Mike A. Harris mharris at redhat.com
Thu Nov 6 04:29:21 UTC 2003

On Wed, 5 Nov 2003, Damian Donnelly wrote:

>I think moderating this list, as suggested, is a good idea. The
>amount of abuse (personal opinion and nit-picking) of this
>mailing list today has almost convinced me to unsuscribe.
>
>Pull yourselves together.

I agree with your second sentence completely.  It's tiring to
read the same old repeated tirades day in and day out, especially
on a list like fedora-devel which is supposed to be strictly
about development.  I know many people have commented both
internally at Red Hat and externally along the general idea of
"whoa, there's so much crap coming in it's hard to sift the
useful interesting stuff and on topic stuff from all the rants
and raves and garbage" and similar.  I agree, I can't keep up
with it all, so I sift looking for "XFree86" in people's
subjects, skip over subjects that are obvious neverending
flamewars and pointless ranting, and try to find useful mails to
reply to.

It's such a pileup of mostly total garbage though, so as to make
the signal level very low compared to the noise.  I might move
the list out of my pine search path into my archive path, just to
avoid the volume of what is mostly pointless garbage and
bitching.  ;o)

The other alternatives at least for me are to:

1) Set a procmail filter to delete anything without XFree86 or
   other special keywords in the subject

2) Unsubscribe

Moderation would be nice in theory, but there's 2 problems with
that:

1) People would scream bloody murder 10 times more and claim Red
Hat is an evil closed blah blah for having a moderated list and
their freedom of speech is being withheld and censored, blah blah
blah.  So that would never ever work out, if anything it would
generate 2 times as much useless off topic junkmail.

and

2) Someone would have to moderate each post.  That would be more
or less a full time job, and if the purpose of it was to kill off
topic and/or totally useless threads, most of the list traffic
would almost completely vanish IMHO, making the list pretty
quiet.  ;o)

So, I think people want the lists open, thats fine, but then
people get what they get, which at least currently is cacophony
on fedora-devel-list, fedora-test-list, and fedora-list all 3
lists of which are almost indistinguishable from one another
contentwise.  I wonder if they'd make good bayesian filter data
for spamassassin though.  ;o)

Anyway, that's my $0.03 CDN.  ;oP