Meaning of "Yarrow"

John Abbott john at alllinux.org
Thu Nov 6 16:22:55 UTC 2003

Shanon Fernald wrote:

>Just curious. This has been bugging me. Wasn't "Shrike" the name of a previous release of redhat? I know that the Shrike is from the great sci-fi novel Hyperion. Now if I'm not mistaken, wasn't there a "Yarrow" tree or something in the book too? Is that the relation between these two release names? Sorry if I am totally off-base here, but in the back of my mind this has been driving me crazy.

Thad

It could deal with Virus.   Yarrow plants are used to battle the common
cold (virus).   Here's a cut and paste from an Herbologist

* Antipyretic, Hypotensive, Astringent, Diuretic and urinary antiseptic,
Stops internal bleeding, Promotes menstruation, Anti-inflammatory. *

*/KEY CONSTITUENTS/*

* Flavonoids <http://www.friedli.com/herbs/phytochem/flavonoids.html>,
Alkaloids
<http://www.friedli.com/herbs/phytochem/alkaloids/alkaloid1.html>(achilleine),
Triterpenes
<http://www.friedli.com/herbs/phytochem/terpenes/terpenes.html>,
Salicylic acid, Coumarins
<http://www.friedli.com/herbs/phytochem/coumarins.html>, Tannins
<http://www.friedli.com/herbs/phytochem/tannins.html>, Volatile oils
<http://www.friedli.com/herbs/phytochem/volatile/volatile_oil.html>(linalool,
camphor, sabinene, chamazulene), Sesquiterpene lactones
<http://www.friedli.com/herbs/phytochem/terpenes/terpenes.html>(11,13-dehydrodeacetylmatricarin,
rupicolin A and rupicolin B), Potassium, Magnesium, Calcium, Phosphorus,
Vitamin C, Niacin. *

*/INDICATION/*

* Yarrow is used for the common cold and fevers.*