Newbie Questions

Alexander Grekhov fedora at winnerauto.com
Thu Nov 6 17:58:57 UTC 2003

Mister Clever wrote:

> 1) Hardware compatibility list.  I'm assuming this isn't going to be
> like windows, i.e. buy a twenty-dollar no-name ethernet card and it's
> going to include a driver.

You'd be surprised. In 5 years running Linux in production environment I
excountered very few unsupported devices, most of them rather old.

> Where do I find a list of hardware that's
> supported under Linux?  Is there a URL?  I want to make sure that as I
> purchase pieces they're actually going to work with little difficulty.

The good place to start would be here:

http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/HOWTO-INDEX/hardware.html

http://fedora.redhat.com/docs/release-notes/

> 3) One of the things I'd like to do with my Linux box is put it in my
> Dlink Router's DMZ and run an FTP server on it so I can upload and
> download to my LAN at home via my DSL connection.  Will "Fedora" include
> everything I need to do this (from a software perspective), i.e. FTP
> server and firewall (?)

Yes.

> or will I need something else.

Read docs and set up config files to suit your needs.

Regards,

Alexander