Specific Fedora kernel

David C. Hart dch at TQMcube.com
Fri Nov 7 13:31:03 UTC 2003

On Fri, 2003-11-07 at 06:15, A.J. Bonnema wrote:
> My previous mail "Fedora with a generic Kernel" brings me to a different
> issue.
>
> What is the essential difference between the generic kernels and the
> Fedora kernels? Why is there a difference?

The new kernel is based on the NPTL standard which is supposed to
provide performance improvements. It has some of the featrues of 2.6 as
well. The problem with it is that the stock kernel is quite bloated. I
have NEVER been able to cleanly compile an NTPL kernel which means that
RH has presumably forced the issue which requires, among other things,
compiling some modules into the system because they will not compile as
modules. I'll give this version another shot but the KORG 2.4.22 works
very well.