GPL and RHEL

Chuck Wolber chuckw at quantumlinux.com
Fri Nov 7 18:35:55 UTC 2003

> The word I had posted previously (that I had received from RedHat Sales)
> was that if you buy one Enterprise License you can't install the same
> software on another machine. Understanding that one could not get
> support on the second machine what we can't understand is this; If the
> Enterprise products are being sold under a GPL license (except for the
> proprietary IBM component) how can RedHat say you can't install the
> Enterprise product on as many machines as you want?

They can't. The only restriction they can place is in the use of their
trademarks and non-GPL'd code. Remove all of that and you've got a freely
redistributable product. Check out: http://www.caosity.org/

-Chuck

--
Quantum Linux Laboratories - ACCELERATING Business with Open Technology
   * Education			| -=^ Ad Astra Per Aspera ^=-
   * Support			| chuckw at quantumlinux.com

A: Because we read from top to bottom, left to right.