install dpkg to build debian-based ramdisks?

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at mindspring.com
Fri Nov 7 20:08:51 UTC 2003

  i'm not sure this is doable, but i'd like to install and run "dpkg"
on my FC1 box to build a debian-based ramdisk for an embedded
system.

  that is, i can create a 16M ext2, loop-mounted filesystem, and
start to populate it with a minimal linux filesystem -- /bin, /etc, /dev,
that sort of thing.

  i'd also like to install debian packages in that minimal filesystem and
while i'm not a debian expert, i'm assuming that the "dpkg" command
has an option similar to --prefix or --installroot so i can define where
the package actually goes in -- that is, in my mounted filesystem image.

  so i found a dpkg RPM at www.rpmfind.net, and tried to install it, but
was told that it contains the file /usr/sbin/update-alternatives that
conflicts with the same file that's part of the chkconfig package.
bummer.

  so, am i on the right path?  is there some other approach i should
be looking at?  pointers gratefully accepted.

rday