up2date --register

Cymon J. Cox cymon at duke.edu
Fri Nov 7 04:08:23 UTC 2003

On Thu, 2003-11-06 at 21:32, Gerry Tool wrote:
> On Thu, 2003-11-06 at 16:48, Marc Williams wrote:
> > On Thu, 2003-11-06 at 16:41, Louis Garcia wrote:
> > > I cant seem to get my fedora core 1 system registered with rhn. When I
> > > click the rhn-applet it tells me that my system does not seem to be
> > > registered with the Red Hat Network. When I hit Register with RHN is
> > > runs up2date but now the register part. Anyone else seeing this?
> > >
> > > --Thanks
> > >

> > Yes, I was just about to post about that too.  I'm finding the whole
> > up2date, apt, yum, rhn a little confusing.  Fortunately, I'll be running
> > Axel Thimm's ATrpm product so I don't think I'll have to fret about it
> > too much.
>
> Just try running up2date --configure.  Up2date does not use rhn in
> Fedora, it automatically uses yum repositories and sets up two channels
> called "fedora-core-1" and "updates-released."
>
> If you have difficulty, I suggest you uninstall your current up2date and
> up2date-gnome and install the latest version which is 4-1.16-1 and then
> run up2date --configure.  Should work after that.  There are not yet any
> updates for a Fedora Core 1 system.

I'm not so sure. I have a new FC 1 install and experiencing the same
"Your system does not seem to be registered with RH network warning"
when the Alert applet is invoked. It clear should not be doing that
seeing how's RH is not supporting Fedora via RHN.

However, until yesterday the system was registered with RHN in the FC
test 2 channel and when installing FC 1 I maintained my old /home and
config which I am now using. If others are not seeing the warning then I
suspect this has something to do with it. Deleted ~/.rhn-applet* with no
effect.

C.