No Full Control Install!

Ben Russo ben at muppethouse.com
Sat Nov 8 16:09:25 UTC 2003

Homer Parker wrote:

>On Fri, 2003-11-07 at 13:00, Doug Stewart wrote:
>

>> must not have been paying attention to the fedora-test-list.
>>
>>The thinking goes (and someone from RH correct me if I'm wrong) is that
>>anaconda is the wrong place to be doing package selection.  Eventually,
>>FC should just get enough of a system up and running for the users to be
>>able to select/install packages from a nice, X-enabled FirstBoot situation.
>>

>	But what if you're *not* installing X?

You can still use YUM.  And it is much more flexible with a full BASH
shell and Unix shell utilies
than the curses based menu system.
Also, I'm surprised no one has brought it up, but you could always make
a kickstart file
to install your system however you want.  You can even add POST-INSTALL
scripts to your
kickstart system to further configure and tune and tweak your system in
ways that you want.

In my opinion, the simpler the bootable install is, the better.

*IF they do decide to make the installer more powerfull, I hope it is
with a 'hidden' option,
that is not displayed on the screen.  (some boot-up option like "linux
expert" )

-Ben.