About maintaining a mirror

Rodolfo J. Paiz rpaiz at simpaticus.com
Sat Nov 8 18:08:39 UTC 2003

At 19:06 11/7/2003, you wrote:
>I would like to setup a local Fedora mirror. Currently I am using
>fmirror with a fairly obscure configuration file to mirror RedHat
>Linux distribution and the updates. It should work with Fedora too but
>I am wondering if there is a better (or even recommended) way of doing
>this.

Several mirrors of Red Hat (I used to run one) simply use rsync. I can give
you my configuration if you like... it's extremely easy. Basically, find
another mirror who supports rsync and "rsync -av rsync-host::rsync-path/
/local/path/to/files/" and you're done. Read the man page for great things
like "--bwlimit" and the various include and exclude functions.

Rsync can also be a wonderful remote copying and mirroring option over ssh
to use between two of your systems. Simply "rsync -av -e ssh" and you're
good to go.

--
Rodolfo J. Paiz
rpaiz at simpaticus.com