Release notes and FAQ

Jim Cornette redhat-jc at insight.rr.com
Sun Nov 9 02:48:13 UTC 2003

Aaron Konstam wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 07, 2003 at 12:18:51PM -0600, Dave Rogers wrote:
>
>>Much of the noise on this list would go away if posters would read the
>>Fedora Release Notes (RTFRN!) at:
>>
>> http://fedora.redhat.com/docs/release-notes/
>>
>>Or the FAQ at:
>>
>> http://fedora.redhat.com/about/faq/
>>
>>These two docs answer at least 75 percent of the questions asked here
>>not including the mindless drivel about what the meaning of one (1) is.
>>As in "how many systems does RedHat mean when they say you can only
>>install RHEL on one (1) machine". Most folks learned to count up to one
>>in first grade.
>>
>>--
>
> I have read the release notes and I still don't know why I can't
> install Yarrow properly in a Dell Precision 340 (others seem to
> succeed) and no one on the list has offered an answer.
>
> At this point (only 45 days after the release of yarrow) I don't
> think 75% of any answers to peoples problems with a new release are
> in the release notes and faq.

The magic for me to get Linux to work for my laptop was found when
installing Severn1. ACPI was part of the kernel and it worked for me.
Earlier versions of Red Hat would lockup the keyboard during the
mediacheck portion.

Later on, they turned acpi off by default and you need to enter this
command during install. (My computer would lockup on the pcmcia portion
of initializing, without acpi enabled).

linux acpi=on

Personally, I haven't read much and would not have seen the answers if
they were compiled into release notes or in a how to book.

Jim

--
Communicate!  It can't make things any worse.