No Full Control Install!

Jason Borgmann jab at radiofreeomaha.net
Sun Nov 9 04:27:11 UTC 2003

On Fri, 2003-11-07 at 13:46, Glenn English wrote:
> On Fri, 2003-11-07 at 12:00, Doug Stewart wrote:
>
> > The thinking goes (and someone from RH correct me if I'm wrong) is that
> > anaconda is the wrong place to be doing package selection.  Eventually,
> > FC should just get enough of a system up and running for the users to be
> > able to select/install packages from a nice, X-enabled FirstBoot situation.
>
> Seems to me that the installer is a just fine place to select what's to
> be installed.
>
> And if anaconda doesn't get the X configuration right (and it doesn't
> every time), the X-enabled FirstBoot situation never exists. The
> X-enabled anaconda situation does, though.
>
> When I installed Fedora yesterday, anaconda gave me enough control to
> tell it not to install sendmail.cf and to install postfix. When I booted
> after the install, postfix was not started, and sendmail was the MTA.
> This does not happen when I can select individual packages. Easily
> fixed, but additional and unnecessary things to check for and do.

Although you are correct this is easily fixable with selecting
individual packages, the sendmail.cf/postfix thing it not new behavior.
It does the exact same thing in RH9.  This caught me off guard the first
time I saw it.  I assumed that by removing the sendmail.cf and
installing postfix that Anaconda/RH/whatever would have been intelligent
enough to figure out that I wanted to use postfix.  Guess not.

-jb
--
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce
the Complete Works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know