Freshrpms.net concerns.

Alexandre Oliva aoliva at redhat.com
Sun Nov 9 19:53:21 UTC 2003

On Nov  9, 2003, Axel Thimm <Axel.Thimm at physik.fu-berlin.de> wrote:

> Fedora Extras is yet to emerge (possibly at FC2 test releases).

Err...  You mean yet to emerge as in from Fedora.us?  Look again.  The
repository is already there.  So is livna extras.  And so is lisas
extras.

Meanwhile, ATrpms and Freshrpms are building their Fedora repositories
without splitting packages into Extras and Alternatives, which I think
is going to make them unusable for a large number of users.  Please
reconsider.

> It isn't clear to me whether this will be one repo or a general
> description of Red Hat hosted repos (like Fedora Extras High
> Performance, Fedora Extras Engineering etc.).

Meanwhile, repositories like yours could be filling the gap.  However,
since you don't follow the Extras/Alternatives separation, they can't
fit easily into the Fedora nomenclature other than simply as Third
Party repositories.  I'd like to see more repositories offering
Extras, and Alternatives only in smaller repositories, such that I
don't end up being nagged by RHN to update Mozilla to 1.5 just because
I want to use Dag's ccache, distcc and mozilla-j2re.  Also, if I choose
to use his Mozilla 1.5, I don't end up having to update say epiphany
as well (or risking missing updates, if I tell the RHN applet to not
update it automatically).

I can see that the same reasoning could be used for Extras as well.
Say, if I'd like (for whatever reason) to use livna's mplayer, I
wouldn't like freshrpms' or ATrpms' mplayer to be installed with
up2date -u.

All in all, this is a limitation of up2date, that won't let me filter
channels according to my preferences.  Something for the up2date
wishlist, I guess.  Meanwhile, I think splitting repositories into
a finer granularity is the best way to accomplish this.
Unfortunately, I see this places an additional burden on the
volunteers that run such repositories, so...  Oh, well...  Thanks for
reading this far :-)