VMWare and FC1

MJang michael at ywow.org
Sun Nov 9 20:47:59 UTC 2003

Hi Gene,
----- Original Message -----
From: "Gene C." <czar at czarc.net>
> Reporting bugs with a Red Hat product for installing a guest under VMware is a
> bit of wasted time.  While some folks at Red Hat use VMware themselves, they

I understand. My intent is in the interest of a solid one-stop database in bugzilla for problems that we see. I know other 3rd party
developers monitor bugzilla. But on second thought, this mailing list can be searched and googled, so this is already a decent
one-stop database.

> Now I am talking about a Linux (not Windows XP) host so milage may vary if you
> try VMware 3 on Windows.

I am using VMWare on XP, and left that out of my previous message. Thanks.

> After a great deal of trial and error installing various versions of RHL and
> now FC as guests:

For what I do, I need to use VMWare to demo installations that are as standard as possible; i.e., it's inappropriate for me to use
too many workarounds.

> While I currently use nfs installs, I have used a harddisk install and that
> works also.

I've never had a problem with a install from a local VMWare HD. I know I have to set up virtual (non-standard) IDE hard disks for my
RHEL installs.

> And IIRC, I have mounted all three ISO images as virtual cdroms
> to the VMware "machine" and that has worked also.

I've also found mounted ISOs to be more efficient as well.
> ---
> After writing the above, I have found that you need to do the following also:

To be more specific, what I've observed was a difference in how VMWare configures /etc/X11/XF86Config in Fedora beta 3 and Fedora
Core 1. The standard keeps X from working (and it isn't a GDM, xhost, or xfs issue).

Thanks,
Mike