Proper way to keep Fedora up to date?

smoothmilk smthmlk at fuckmicrosoft.com
Mon Nov 10 11:56:07 UTC 2003

I've been reading about apt-get, yum, up2date, etc. I've installed and
attempted to use apt-get, and I was using up2date with rh9. I use
apt-get like this:

# apt-get update
# apt-get -f dist-upgrade

When i use those commands, it updates seemingly unimportant rpm's (like
replacing fedora-release with redhat-release, which is ass-backwards).
I'm wondering if it has to do with the repositories.. up2date doesn't
seem to find much to update either, and I haven't tried yum yet. and as
such...

I think an authoritative howto needs to be created describing exactly
how to keep fedora up to date, including how to add new repositories.
Would be nice to see this be the first documentation in
fedora.redhat.com/docs/ :) thanks!