LILO

Bret Hughes bhughes at elevating.com
Mon Nov 10 17:20:20 UTC 2003

On Mon, 2003-11-10 at 09:43, Read, Jared wrote:
> I think lilo really needs to put back in as an install option. When I
> selected "another bootloader" in the install it wanted me to make a boot
> floppy. Grub is fine and all but I really like lilo.

And FWIW an upgrade from 7.1 removed the 7.1 kernels from lilo but
failed to add the new one so the system was unbootable into fedora.  As
this machine had no external media this could have been a reall bummer.
Luckily I did the install by placing the boot.iso vmlinuz and initrd.img
on the hard drive and used lilo to boot into the installation and
anaconda did not remove that one :)
typed

install rescue

and I was able to get backin into the system vi nfs justlike I installed
it and added the new kernel to /mnt/sysimage/etc/lilo.conf ,  chrooted
to /mnt/sysimage ran lilo -v and all was well.

If this is something that other find useful I could write it up but I
figure most folks have someway to boot to external media so I have not
bothered.

Bret