Upgrade from RH - 9 issues...

Arindam Dey adey at komnas.com
Tue Nov 11 02:23:47 UTC 2003

On Mon, 2003-11-10 at 17:43, shrek-m at gmx.de wrote:
> Arindam Dey wrote:
>
> >I mean is upgrade only
> >supposed to upgrade the packages already present and miss out
> the new and very important packages like yum in this case ???
>
> imho this is a very good decision.
>
> you can read the release-notes and check your upgrade.log
>

> # vi /root/upgrade.log
>
> eg.
> i will install yum and rhgb on my notebook
>
> mount cd #1
>
> # rpm -Uvh /mnt/cdrom/Fedora/RPMS/yum*
> # rpm -Uvh /mnt/cdrom/Fedora/RPMS/rhgb*
>
> # yum check-updates

Thanks everybody who answered I just wanted somebody to corroborate my
experience. I faced the same when upgrading from RH 7.3 to RH 9 that
time the change was too vast for me to even start thinking which are the
missing packages. I just went ahead and took backup and reinstalled
cleanly this time though I will take the pains and install(yum,
rhgb(Thanks Shrek had forgotten this one) etc) and uninstall (galeon
which is segfaulting now).

--
Arindam Dey

The mind is not a vessel to be
filled but a fire to be kindled.

GPG FPR: B8E3 219E F129 F970 F4A7  BC50 9636 504A BEDF 5739