OT: CrossPlatform email client?

Tue Nov 11 19:51:16 UTC 2003

On Tue, 2003-11-11 at 13:24, Bryan Anderson wrote:
> Hi - this seems a fairly newbie friendly place and I got a lot
> of good help from some people here with my mp3 problem, so maybe
> someone will have an answer to this one....
>
> I really, really want to me rid of MS......but there are a few
> things that I need to dual-boot for, for a while. I *know* that
> the Gimp is supposed to be as good as many Windows graphics
> packages but I know the Windows ones inside out and use my PC
> to make money. Ditto for Dreamweaver.
>
> Because of these two apps (mainly) I find that I spend most of
> the day in Windows and then the evening in Linux (mostly email,
> usenet, etc). However I am getting fed up of trying to organise
> email in a dual-boot system. Receiving email into either is
> easy enough (just leave on the server in Linux, delete from
> server in Win) but if I then reply to something when in one OS,
> my reply won't appear in the second, etc.
>
> Is there a (decent) email client that works with a shared mail
> dir, on a fat32 drive, and has a Windows and a Linux client. It
> needs:
>
> to be easy to set up/install (complete newbie!)
> multiple account facilities (both pop and smtp)
> decent filtering, rules and folders setup
>
> Basically I'm after The Bat! or maybe Eudora, that will work
> for both OS's......
>
> Bryan Anderson <fedora at bryananderson.co.uk>

I have not actually tried what you are proposing, however, you might
want to try Mozilla Mail, since it is available on both Windows and
Linux with consistent mail/folder formats.

Under the server settings, you can specify the local folder in which you
store your mail. Presumably you should be able to indicate
/mnt/windows/Your.Windows.Mozilla.Mail.Folder.

BTW, when I made the transition from Outlook under WinXP to Evolution
under RH, I used Mozilla Mail under Windows as an intermediate step to
import my Outlook folders (including attachments) into a Mozilla folder
tree. I then used that tree as the source to import my mail and
attachments into Evolution, one folder at a time. It worked incredibly
well, better than the other recommended means of transferring mail from
OL to Evo.

HTH,

Marc Schwartz