Fedora download link - tooooooo busy / good german mirror

Rodolfo J. Paiz rpaiz at simpaticus.com
Tue Nov 11 22:43:14 UTC 2003

At 16:12 11/11/2003, you wrote:
>I've downloading from
>ftp://ftp.join.uni-muenster.de/pub/linux/distributions/fedora/linux/core/1/i386/iso/
>on my 832Kb DSL line with fabulous results :-)
>
>Current Speed:       99.73 KBytes/s
>Top Speed:          105.03 KB/s
>MBytes Received:     1682.760      MBytes Transmited:      36.617
>Errors on Receiving: 0             Errors on Transmission: 0
>
>nice :-) Took me 6 hrs to download 3 CDroms.
>
>So i suggest U use ftp for your downloads

Joyfully bursting your bubble here: it took me somewhere between 3 and 4
hours to get them with BitTorrent, and the top speed was well over 400
KBps. I had 3-4 Mbps of bandwidth available, and you have about 1 Mbps.
Also remember that I downloaded less than 24 hours after release, while you
are doing so more than a week later after traffic has decreased somewhat.
So what's your point? You stats mean absolutely... nothing.

Remember that the guy who said he downloaded for 30 hours may not have an
"832Kb DSL line" like you or a cable modem like I had that night... it
would take 66 hours to download all six CD images on a 128 Kbps line like
the one I have at home, even at 100% efficiency and 100% saturation which
is impossible; 33 hours on a perfect, idealized 256 Kbps line. And that is
bandwidth that most people on Earth still do not have.

Neither BitTorrent nor FTP are perfect solutions; there are times when
either one is better. Do not expect there to be, and do not promote, the
mentally-myopic view of "there is one way which is better" since that is
almost always wrong. And someone will always be there to prove it.

--
Rodolfo J. Paiz
rpaiz at simpaticus.com