Safe to install and compile FreeSWAN?

Mike Wohlgemuth mjw at woogie.net
Wed Nov 12 13:52:14 UTC 2003

Mark Smith wrote:

>Compiled it myself yesterday, seems to work fine so far.
>
>I found hints somewhere (on a different machine now, sorry!) about the
>full process, but in a nutshell:
>
>1) Get the kernel source into a usable state (make distclean, copy the
>correct config to /usr/src/linux-2.4/.config, make menuconfig, exit
>immediately saving changes, make dep).  Then edit the kernel Makefile
>and remove "custom" from EXTRAVERSION otherwise your modules won't
>install into the standard kernel afterwards.
>
>2) Get the standard freeswan source from freeswan.org, and make by:
>
>cd {freeswan-src}/packaging/redhat
>make CC=gcc32 RH_KERNELSRC=/usr/src/linux-2.4 rpm
>
>3) Install the rpms.
>
>4) in /lib/modules/2.4.22-1.2115.nptl/kernel/net/ipsec/, rename the
>relevant ipsec.o-{arch} to ipsec.o
>
>5) depmod -ae then modprobe ipsec
>
>If there are no complaints about missing symbols you're all set.
>
>Seems remarkably convoluted, and there must be an easier way, but at
>least it works :)

The kernel source should already be in a usable state, unless you've
already tweaked if for some other reason, so step 1 should be unneeded.
I just did 'start ipsec' instead of your step 5.  Of course, I edited
/etc/ipsec.conf first.  I think step 4 should be automated by freeswan,
but it doesn't seem to work in Fedora.

Mike